Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Addressing the Setup

I took the last two days off golf and spent the time instead relaxing, working out, stretching, and the occasional slow motion swing to keep the feel I've had lately.

The thing that really hurt me this past weekend was my shots off the tee. A pull/hook started to develop in my swing in the week or two prior to the tournament, and with the rain and all I never had a chance to try to work it out on the range. In retrospect, I should have spent time thinking about my setup and double checking everything there. Something didn't feel right about how I was swinging with my driver and occasionally my 3-wood or 5-wood, and in the end it cost me quite a few strokes in the tournament - at least 6 strokes from hazards or OB alone, which would have easily put me ahead of the pack.

So in the last two days I've re-read some material on the golf swing, doing some mirror work, and put some thought into my feels, leading me to ultimately consider how I've been setting up. I know that a big contributing factor to the pulls/hooks has been that I haven't been able to get my weight shifted to my left side prior to starting the downswing. This is leading to one of two things - I either completely spin out, come over the top, and get a straight pull - or I end up dragging my legs through during the downswing, letting my arms get behind my body, and end up basically slinging everything through the ball, leading to the hooks.

This is a persistent tendency of mine and a habit I've been trying to break for a while now. After doing my research and thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the problem starts at my setup before I even start my swing. I'll find out today when I go play, but from looking in the mirror I may not be getting enough axis tilt at address with my spine where the upper spine and lower spine are setup in a straight line, my left hip is setup slightly higher than my right, ultimately setup in what's called the reverse-K.

The reverse-K makes it extremely easy for me to turn and weight shift, both of which I struggled with this past weekend. Most of my swings during the tournament felt rigid and out of place - I never really felt good and easy swings out there. So today I'm going to make sure I have the proper setup before hitting my shots. I likely just got away from this the last few weeks as I started to think more about target practice than mechanical practice, which is fine, but now that the tournaments are ramping down for a bit I can focus a little more on my mechanics. Sooner or later it will just become habit, and I won't have to think about it as much.

We'll see how it goes today. I expect to feel a little off anyway just because I've had two days of nothingness, but if I see better results with the longer clubs then I'll know I'm on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment