Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mentally Tired

I suppose this weekend is a good example of how I play when I'm mentally worn out. I didn't play terrible this weekend, but it wasn't as good as I should be playing and mentally I could never get any kind of concentration going. Some stuff happened at work this past week that was a culmination of a years' worth of frustrations, and by the end of the week I was mentally worn out. It's carried over into my golf game.

Having said that, out of the 3 rounds I played I did have a great round on the aerated Champions course, shooting a 1-over 73 playing from the black tees. The other two rounds were on the Legends course at 77 and 79. My balance felt off most of the time, but I think it was more mental than anything. I say that because I was perfectly fine on the range.

Short game hurt a bit too. Recently I modified my grip when chipping to be more neutral instead of strong, and I'm having trouble trusting my chips out of the rough.

I spent some time practicing as well, working on full swing and short game. I've been waiting on the greens to recover from the recent aerification so I can practice putting. With all the rain we're getting this week I should be able to start doing that soon. My putting stroke did feel a bit off, but again I didn't have the mental energy to do the visualization I've been working on when putting either.

Overall I'd rate my practice and play this weekend average. The more neutral grip is starting to feel comfortable, and I'm learning how to shape the ball on the course. I won't worry too much about the negatives this weekend until I get through this mental spell. This week looks to be a wet week with the tropical storm, so I'll have to take advantage of any opportunities to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment