Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wednesday Round

Played 9 holes with the group last night. Had a bit of a rough start going +6 in the first 3 holes. I wasn't in a good mental state with some frustrations outside of golf, so it took me a bit to get into a better frame of mind.

I did that by the 4th hole though, a long par 5 that I birdied. I went even-par for the rest of the holes to finish the 9 at +5. That's below average for me, but given the start of the round I still took away some positives.

For one, I was able to take the ball flight control to the course. I made mistakes, but nothing unrecoverable. Also, despite the negative mental state I was in at the start, I was able to refocus and turn it around in time to salvage the round. That's not an easy thing to do. Third, the wind made club selection and targeting difficult - it was a 3-club wind so most of the time I was focused on playing the safe shots and staying out of trouble, especially since most of the time the wind played as a crosswind with a slight helping or hurting.

The weekend weather forecast looks grim. Lots of rain. And next week isn't looking much better. I'll have to take advantage of any good weather as it happens, even if that means going to practice early in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment