Friday, June 15, 2012

Wet Week and a Test

It was a wet week in the afternoons around here, so I didn't get to practice at all this week since getting back from the tournament. I did play 6 holes on Wednesday evening until the lightning made me too nervous to play anymore. I stop enjoying golf or having a club in my hand when lightning is around.

With rain hitting again Thursday I got the mirror out and setup the webcam with the V1 software in my living room to get some looks at my swing. I spent about 30 minutes doing some dry swings and working various feels, checking those feels against the video to see how well I was on or off plane, what my body was doing, etc.

Turns out I've been moving my head too much during the downswing. I had the same sort of problem with hitting when I played baseball, although I learned to control it with pitching. Anyway, my head has basically been moving down to the ball and left, or down the line toward my target. The end result is that I don't get a proper hip bump, the club goes outside the line from my shoulders starting their turn too soon, and the clubface closes too early.

I had an opportunity to work on that today, actually, and I love how my swing feels and the ball flight I get when I keep my head from moving all around. I went up to TPC Sawgrass to play the Stadium course today. I played decent (+6), considering my forecaddie made a few mistakes on yardages that led to a few big numbers. I also played much more aggressive than I typically would (hitting Driver when I'd normally hit 3-wood, for instance), which led to me getting in trouble I would normally avoid and further inflated the score. Putting was awesome. Didn't miss a putt within 6' and made a few in the 8'-20' range for birdie. Again, the visualization stuff I've started to do is making a huge difference. Perhaps I need to start taking that to the full swing.

I also wish I could play the course longer, say where the Tour guys play. Playing from the blue tees was too short for me. Granted, it's my fault - I should have played the 3 or 5 wood more often. My distance is getting stupid long for an amateur that's only been playing a few years, and getting in unnecessary trouble with the driver is starting to be a recurring theme if I play tees less than 7000 yards. That's a recent thing for me, so I'll adjust.

Probably the best moment was the eagle on the par 5 11th. I had a monster drive, albeit on the right side of the fairway, which left about 235 to the flag in the front of the green. The wind was helping and left to right, so we decided to play to 220. Worst case if I came up short I'd have a decent bunker shot, but I wouldn't go long and be in more trouble. Well, I took my 4-iron out, focused on doing nothing but treating my head and spine as an axis around which I turn, and the ball took off with a high trajectory and a maybe 5 yard draw. The ball landed just on the green and trickled up to about 8 feet away from the pin. I made the putt to sink my 4th ever eagle.

I enjoy playing the Stadium course. It's such a great test. You get punished for every mistake, and while it's possible to recover, doing so requires a lot of focus and good decisions.

This weekend I'll play a bit and practice. I need to get some reps with the no-head-movement feel, and I'd like to put in some good time with bunkers. They kind of killed me today at Stadium (and last weekend at the tournament), and I haven't felt comfortable in a greenside bunker in weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment